Wednesday, January 8, 2014

THE JULY FOUR - FRIGHTENED LITTLE GIRL / MR. MIFF, 1967



Here's a fabulous lone record cut by The July Four in mid 1967.  Both sides can be found on Fading Yellow Vol. 2 which lists 'Mr. Miff' mysteriously as the 'bonus track'.  'Frightened Little Girl' is a real charmer, but the flipside, 'Mr. Miff' is a brain melter that became one of my favorites last summer.  'Mr. Miff' is an instrumental version of 'Frightened Little Girl' which replaces the vocals and horns with a lead guitar that really numbs the synapses.  Tunes like this are a good reason why I don't have to take drugs.  Info on this record is sparse, but I have seen a comment or two comparing the instrumental cut to some of the early tracks of the 1980's band Felt.  This comparison is fairly just, and I can mention my favorite Felt track 'Evergreen Dazed' as being a worthy companion to 'Mr. Miff'.

note: mastered by Frankford/Wayne in Philadelphia, PA.

No comments:

Post a Comment