Saturday, May 17, 2014

PAUL PARRISH - THE FOREST OF MY MIND, 1968




Although it seems to be appreciated by a large enough audience this Paul Parrish debut has never seen a CD release or reissue, and the original LP is somewhat scarce.  There are copies to be found however, and I was able to come up with a beautiful DJ mono promo copy for fairly cheap after a few weeks of searching early in the year.

I'll admit I had pretty high expectations for this record after a few things I had seen and read about it, and I was left slightly disappointed upon the first few listens.  I suppose I was anticipating a heavier psych leaning, but aside from the title track all of these tunes are of the light folkie orchestrated pop style.  Within that vein it's a very nice album with great production, and all of the original compositions have something pleasant to offer.  Themes of nature and introspection dominate Parrish's song writing which can be summed up in plain sight within the albums title 'The Forest Of My Mind'.  His gentle vocal delivery combined with flute accents and acoustic guitar can easily draw comparisons to Donovan's '67 period.

Each side of the record closes with a cover song, both of which are respectable renditions, but the album wouldn't have been affected much if they had been left off completely.  With all this being said I present a warning; after repeated listens of this record one might find themselves fully 'stached and contemplating life out in the woods!

No comments:

Post a Comment