Thursday, May 22, 2014

CHILDE HAROLD - BRINK OF DEATH, 1968



'Brink Of Death' is a trippy orchestrated flower pop delight which I discovered on the Heavy Dose Of Lyte Psych comp some years back.  I am naturally drawn to it's strange mysterious sounds, and I find myself coming back to it regularly.  The song was written by Bert Sommer, who is noted (among other things) for his brief involvement with the Left Banke.  Sommer's more straightforward harpsichord led version of 'Brink Of Death' can be found on his debut solo album recorded for Capitol in late 1968.

The stark lyrics and imagery of the song are further aided in the Childe Harold version.  Walter Carlos provides a slightly disturbing arrangement featuring sound effects and treated vocals.  The promo version which I have is a stereo/mono flip, but the actual release had a b-side entitled 'Anne, With Love'.  The photo on the back of the picture sleeve indicates there was an actual band involved, but I am unaware of the origins or personnel.  This is the only release under the name Childe Harold.

No comments:

Post a Comment