Tuesday, April 19, 2016

THE ELECTRIC PRUNES - I'VE GOT A WAY OF MY OWN / WORLD OF DARKNESS


Well, another record store day came and went and the world is left with a new pile of overpriced waste that will soon be forgotten.  Among the rubble were a few releases that sparked my interest, and like a mindless junkie I went down to the local dealer and got my fix.  I'm fortunate enough to live in a city where the supply is plentiful so I had no trouble getting the goods for a reasonable price.

One of the releases of interest was this Electric Prunes single put out by Sundazed.  This 45 features two scrapped songs from 1966 using the previously unavailable mono mix.  In addition they fashioned a killer label replicating an 'era-correct' promotional release from Reprise.  This was the main selling point for me, and I appreciate that the folks at Sundazed recognize how important the label is to the 60's vinyl fetishist.

The Prunes treatment of 'I've Got A Way Of My Own' which was a tune previously recorded by The Hollies is a favorite of mine, and it's a treat to own on 45.  I actually enjoy the stereo mix, but mono is always nice to hear.  'World Of Darkness' is a great group original that could have easily fit within either of their first two albums making this a truly great double sider.  Here's what frontman James Lowe had to say about it:

"The Electric Prunes were searching for a sound and style that we could capture on record.  Maybe you don't know exactly who or what you are until you lay it down seriously?  Someone suggested a Hollies song, "I've Got a Way Of My Own," as a warm-up.  I remember Preston Ritter doing a press-roll through the entire take.  4-track tape, no edits back then...and we tried it three times through, I think.  How he had any arms left after that escaped me!  We were still trying to establish the band-and decided the harmonies were better left to other groups, so we never officially released the cut.

Mark and I wrote "World Of Darkness" after seeing the Beatles on TV, I think... we recorded it as a demo-and never came back to fix some 'timing' errors.  Oddly, NOW I like those little bumps the most!  They are kind of "youth-don't-give-a-shit" moments!"


No comments:

Post a Comment