Monday, December 9, 2013

THE FREEBORNE - PEAK IMPRESSIONS, 1968






Greatness of Youth.  I can quote myself saying that this album “is one of the greatest pieces of psychedelic bullshit ever put down” which is true on the surface, but it is so much more than that.  This LP exists as a time capsule of the creativity and human expression that occurred when you put a talented group of teenagers (on LSD) in a studio and let them go nuts.  I don’t want this blog to be a review site so I won’t go too far into it, but I can’t help but gawk a little about one of my favorite records of all time.

Take 'Hurtin’ Kind of Woman' for example.  I love that song!  On the surface it can come off as a generic ‘bluesy Doors rip off’ but in reality it’s got just as much soul as 'Soul Kitchen'.  It’s got the perfect build and the perfect bass riff.  In between the killer 'Yellow Skies' and 'Inside People' on side two it makes for one hell of a sandwich.  After that you get the mystical dessert 'A New Song For Orestes'.  I'll admit I have a soft spot for spoken word passages.  My copy here is a reissued replica which can be found pretty cheaply.  It's got a nice laminated sleeve and sounds great.  A nice alternative to the original which is seldom seen and can go for a few hundred dollars.   FOREVER DRIFTING...

Read a nice interview with original band members Bob Margolin and Dave Codd HERE

From Billboard Magazine May 11, 1968

No comments:

Post a Comment