Saturday, July 19, 2014

THE KINKS - SEE MY FRIENDS / NEVER MET A GIRL LIKE YOU BEFORE, JULY 1965



I'm excited to bring my first Kinks post to the blog, and it comes at quite a fitting time as this record was first released around this time in July nearly 50 years ago!

See My Friends' first hit the streets in the UK during the summer of '65 and though it was not a smash hit it received considerable recognition on the charts.  The tune is often labeled as an early example of 'raga rock' with it's subtle eastern like guitar drone.  Some even go as far as to say it was the first rock song to integrate indian raga sounds.  I won't make any arguments, but I will say it's a damn fine song and worthy of discussion.  The song is often titled 'See My Friend' due to a misprint on the original UK label.  The record wouldn't see release in the US until late September where it essentially flopped.

On the flip side we have 'Never Met A Girl Like You Before', a simple uptempo rocker with that early Kinks charm.

No comments:

Post a Comment