Wednesday, June 11, 2014

COUNTRY JOE AND THE FISH - ELECTRIC MUSIC FOR THE MIND AND BODY, MAY 1967





The swirling sounds of Country Joe and his Fish are currently filling my head with repeated plays.  I won't speak for the rest of the bands work, but their debut album, Electric Music For The Mind And Body is an essential plot in the psychedelic garden of delights.  The cutting guitar tones which often lean towards the bluesy side are killer, but it's the piercing organ sound courtesy of David Cohen that make this record a keeper for me.

There are highlights aplenty on this LP, but I will focus on the instrumental piece 'Section 43' which is seven and a half minutes of abrasive Farfisa that is not only captivating in it's sound but addicting to a poor soul such as I.  In an interview included in the liners of a recent CD reissue of 'Electric Music' David Cohen is on record claiming he had no idea what he was doing and was simply trying to recreate his guitar licks on the keys.  I can assume with confidence that this goes for most garage bands who implement a compact organ into their sound, I think it's great.  It does, however, help to be a talented musician at the peak of creativity...

Some nice bits of history on the origins of the group along with plenty of details concerning 'Section 43' can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment