Wednesday, February 26, 2014

SWEETWATER - WHAT'S WRONG / MY CRYSTAL SPIDER, 1968



My latest record excursion brings me this debut single by Sweetwater released on the Reprise label in November 1968.  Info on Sweetwater is not quite in surplus, but they are fairly common among 60's enthusiasts and are most known for being the first 'band' to play at the Woodstock festival in 1969.  That is by no means a selling point for me, but I dig the sounds found here.  'What's Wrong' features a cool arpeggiated groove with male/female harmony vocals and lyrics heavy in social/political commentary.  The original band had 8 members which leads to a nice break in the song featuring flute, cello and bongos among other things.  'My Crystal Spider' takes a more experimental psychedelic approach and it's pretty obvious that female lead vocalist Nancy Nevins was going for a Grace Slick delivery.  They're no Jefferson Airplane, but this is a nice pair of tunes nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment